Are you having a hard time picking out the right shade for the trim on your exterior?
Are you second guessing what looks good?
Did you know that your sash color can be repeated on your front door and porch steps?
According to Better Homes & Gardens, “Choosing trim colors is tricky. These tips will come in handy, and they work well for most house styles:
- Paint all vertical and horizontal trim elements in the main trim color.
- Window and door frames look better painted in the principal body color. The same holds true for cornice brackets.
- As a general rule, window sashes and shutters are the darkest parts of the color scheme. As a result, the windows seem to recede into the facade.
- The sash color can be repeated on the front door and on the porch steps.
- Storm windows should be the same color as the sash.
- It's best if ceilings under the eaves are painted in the body color, while the entire cornice --the trim that faces outward -- is almost always painted in the trim color.
- If your house is two or three stories tall and you want more than one shade of the principal body color, it is tasteful to apply the darkest shade on the first floor, medium on the second floor, and the lightest on the third floor.
- Gutters and downspouts should be painted to make them as inconspicuous as possible. On a frame house with olive trim and a light green body, for example, the gutters would probably be olive to disappear against the olive cornice, but the downspouts would be painted light green to correspond to the adjacent siding.”
Still need help deciding on a color for your trim’s exterior? We can help you make a decision that will transform the look of your home! Imagine how beautiful your house will look with the professional touch from our local painters in Ann Arbor.
Get the Job Done Right The First Time! Call Local Painters in Ann Arbor!
Call the best local painters in Ann Arbor today at (734) 995-2646 to arrange an appointment with Steve Mussio. He will personally meet you on your property to discuss your project needs, expectations, and concerns and give any suggestions at your request. No job is too big or too small for the best local painters in Ann Arbor!