Does your deck look worn or gray?
Does it soak up water instead of keeping it away?
Decks require maintenance if they are to retain their quality and appearance. Sealing your deck when you first put it in place is a no-brainer, and an extremely important decision. Over time, however, foot traffic, wear, and exposure to the elements will erode the seal and make your deck vulnerable to damage, breaking, and discoloration.
Advice on how often to reseal your deck can range from a few months to several years. The truth is, each deck is different. They’re affected by the area they’re in, shade, weather, sealant, and many other factors. No two decks are exactly alike, and waiting too long can cause irreparable damage. So … how do you know if your deck needs to be sealed again?
One way to help figure this out is the Water-Droplet Test.
How to do it:
1. Pour a small amount of water onto one of the boards of your deck
2. Watch it for a few moments
3. If the deck absorbs the water, chances are you need to reseal the wood to help protect it
4. If the deck repels the water and the water stays in beads on top of the surface, your deck is probably still protected
5. It is important to do this test on many different parts of your deck, as different areas will wear at different rates
This shouldn’t be the only way you test your deck, but it can give you a rough idea of how the seal on your deck is holding up. Consulting a professional Ann Arbor painter is always a good idea to make sure your deck is thoroughly inspected and getting the best care.
If you’re in the Ann Arbor area and would like a free evaluation and estimate for your deck, interior and exterior painting, drywall repair, or anything else your home might need, please contact Ann Arbor painters at 734-995-2646.